Tuesday, June 03, 2008

WORS #3 and Vacation

Greetings all. This past weekend Heather and I did some yard work on Saturday...got some wood chips from the recycling center for the backyard. Then on Sunday we took off for Wausau with Willa (her first mtb race!) to do WORS #3.

That's alot of Comp and Expert riders at the start! (shown with night vision for "snow" effect)
Waiting for the race to start.
We had to do 3 laps of a 8 mile loop. Some good doubletrack, fast sections, but also lots of tight, rocky singletrack that caused many racers to flat. I had a decent start and sat near the front of my age group wave entering the first few fireroad climbs. The high pace started to take a toll and I eased off a bit. I just didn't feel as good as usual...my legs would start to feel good for a few minutes, so I would push it more, and then they would feel like crap again.
Looking fast right after the start.
Starting another lap...
I kept pushing though, not sure where I was for place. I ended up finishing 6th in my age group, and like 46th overall out of 150 Comp racers. I was 5min behind 1st, which isn't as bad as I thought it would be with how I felt. But still a bit disappointing considering how I did last race. Hopefully I feel better next race.
Willa enjoyed herself in the warm weather.
Tomorrow Heather and I head to northern WI to Dam Lake to hang out with Heather's parents for the rest of the week and weekend. We'll be staying here. Should be a fun, relaxing time. I plan on reading and getting some sun on my pale upper body if the weather permits.

I am not sure if I'll be able to do the State Road Race on Sunday. My race isn't until 4pm, but I'm not sure what time we'll be getting back from the lake so we'll have to see. My legs would probably feel like mush after taking five days off in a row, but it would be nice to get the racing miles in regardless. We'll see what happens.

1 comment:

Simmons said...

Did you get to do the state RR?