Monday, September 24, 2007

Some Pavers & WORS #11

Another weekend blown by. On Saturday Heather and I worked on the paver project under the deck. It's starting to come together, hopefully we can finish up with that within the next week or so. I think it will look really cool when it's all said and done.

On Sunday Brooks came with me to Iola to watch me race the 2nd-to-last WORS race of the year. It was a beautiful day. The Iola course is fun...some good climbing, fast tight singletrack, and some sandy descents. We had to do 4 laps on the 5 mile course. The first lap I felt really good and stayed with the leading group as best as possible. The second lap I didn't have as good of a lap, in part because halfway thru it my number plate came loose and kept flapping into my front wheel. I had to either hold it while trying to hold the handlebar or constantly jam it into my housing. At the end of that lap, I stopped at the feed zone and took the plate off and kept going. For the 3rd and 4th laps, I felt fine again and was trying to catch back up. I ended up getting 5th in my age group, with only around 2min separating me from 2nd place. 1st place was way up there, over 4min ahead of 2nd. Disappointing to be so close to 2nd with the plate problems and all, but that's racing!

Pre-race adjustments.
Why is everyone taking the sandy line when the far line is nice and packed??
Flying down the hill with a rider in tow.
The Lalonde bros killing it as usual...they finished 1-2 once again on their rigid singlespeeds.
Sans number plate.
Thanks to Brooks for traveling with me, taking pics, and doing water bottle handups. Much appreciated!

This Thurs Heather and I are going to watch comedian Mike Birbiglia. We've seen him live once before, and he's a riot. That should be a great time. This weekend there are 2 WCA cross races on the calendar. I might end up skipping one though...doing both of them would take up the whole weekend, and if it's nice out, it would be good to work on the pavers. We'll see.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let's get it started.
Who wins world RR?

Simmons said...

Should've used some of the super light weight zip ties that I gave you at Chequamegon :)

I like Robbie McEwen to take the sprint.

Brooks Leedahl said...

a punchy breakaway artist wins worlds. think ardennes classic type rider. schumacher or di luca.

check out the latest shop talk on velonews.com. horner and rodriguez to rock racing. crazy.

Brian said...

Yes, I should have used those instead of those darn twist ties! Lesson learned.

McEwen isn't racing Worlds. Too hilly of a course for his liking evidently.

For my Worlds RR prediction, I think it comes down to 4 riders:
Bettini, Valverde (if he is allowed to race), Sanchez, or hometown boy Schumacher.

Anonymous said...

Speaking of horner and rodriquez, were these 2 even considered for worlds? Jens Voight as dark horse pick, Bettini as back to back WC.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Brian!!!
How was the show?
Hugs!

Brian said...

I'm surprised Horner wasn't selected too, Pat. He could have done well on that course.

Thanks Tonia! The Birbigs show isn't until tomorrow night.

Valverde has been cleared to race Worlds. That should make the race more interesting.

Tour of America? 4000 miles? Wow.

Anonymous said...

Where are some pics of the pavers?
Happy B-day Brian!!

Anonymous said...

looks like you guys had an amazing time!!!
I love the pictures!

Cheers,
Simmi