Monday, September 10, 2007

No Chainsuck!!

Yesterday I raced the WORS race in Kewaskum, a quick 60min drive from home. It was a perfect day for racing, with a slight breeze and highs around 70. The course was fast and dry; lots of climbing, some rutted out sections in the grass, and some high speed descents with packed, banked corners. Not many extended sections of singletrack though. We had to do 4 laps on the 4.5 mile loop.
I started out relatively fast on the little "start loop" and entered the first singletrack in good position. Then the first climb hit, and it was decently steep and long, so I passed quite a few more riders there. The first 2 laps I kept a pretty strong pace going and got into my own rhythm. On the 3rd lap, my legs started to feel tired and I could feel myself slowing down. I hate those little mental ruts in the middle of races! Right after the big climb at the beginning of the last lap, I could see the Elite leaders (the Lalonde bros and Woodruff) coming up on me. I let them pass and then decided to see how long I could hang with them. I latched onto their wheels and we took off. I was surprised to see that the pace wasn't THAT much faster...but the fact that they can maintain it for the entire race is amazing. We passed a few people, and then I dropped off after about a mile and a half. I didn't want to blow up. I finished the rest of the race off as strongly as I could.

After cooling off and changing, I went and checked the results. I ended up getting 2nd place in my age group, and was only 1:24 behind the winner. Sweet! Another TBB podium. The freshly-built 8900 performed flawlessly. I think this was the first time in like 5 mtb races that I haven't experienced chainsuck. The 8900 felt stiff and fast...I like it.

Coming up this weekend is Chequamegon. I'm hoping to improve on my finish from last year and try to get into the top 100. We'll see what happens. It looks like it will be a cold one this year. Then I'll be heading to the Cities to meet up with Dad, Danette, Alane, and Dick. We're going to the Renaissance Festival on Sunday. Fun fun.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's a big ROAR going out for
Team Brown Bear! Good job Brian!

You and Heather will have über athletic kids... I say soccer instead of hockey though. And avid bikers, of course.

Have fun this weekend - maybe you can help Alane pick out countertop, or microwave rangehoods, or install a fence section or two, or even put together a grill..... (just kidding Auntie Laney!)

Simmons said...

Way to go Brian! Sounds like your ready for whatever the Chequamegon course can throw at ya. See you on Friday.

Brooks Leedahl said...

it appears you harnessed the power of the tom boonen stubble-beard.

nice work.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on another podium qualifying ride for TBB. A 2nd big ROAR!
Looking forward to seeing you this weekend. And as Tonia wrote - there are a lot of "little" jobs to be done around here. :)
Good luck to you and Dave at the Chequamegon race!

Lars said...

Be sure to drink some mead with thy turkey leg whilst prancing about to the minstrels pipe.

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say congrats & keep it up. Way to represent.

G-reg said...

Welcome back to Alumininimum land.

Anonymous said...

I understand that your bottle handup was not to be available to you at Chequamegon. Does this explain your 2nd to Maury for overall in-house positioning?

Brian said...

Ahh, I think I've only had the luxury of Beth's handups at 3 races so far this year. In fact, she wasn't at the last WORS race, where I got my best finish. :)

Maury's going down next year!! :D