Tuesday, August 28, 2007

My Frame Didn't Break! (yet)

Wow, Afton seemed actually fun this year. The 7 mile course didn't seem as hard and I think the entire TBB had a better experience than last year. That's good news.

Both Dave and Trent had great races. Vino nailed out 11 laps, and was hovering in the top 10 overall for a long time before he called it on Saturday afternoon. Trent bettered his previous Afton best by 2 whole laps, finishing with 7 laps. Great job guys. Tonia, once again, did awesome as a solo pit crew, and even found time to sleep in on Saturday morning.
Trent, wondering exactly was IS in Anti-Monkey Butt powder. The world may never know.
I stuck to my plan of taking it easy and gauging how the knee felt after each lap. I kept the chain in the granny ring up front for the entire race. The ENTIRE race...all my shifting was done with the rear derailleur. They said a high cadence should help with knee pain. I also took drugs after every 7-8 hours or so, and took a good break in between laps.

The first few laps went by pretty uneventful. Simmons and I finished the first lap in around 58 minutes, pretty quick for taking it easy. My knee kept feeling fine, so I kept plugging out the laps. I was done with my goal of 5 laps by 3am, and decided to sleep for a few hours in the back of my car. In the afternoon, my lap times kept getting progressively faster. My 2nd to last lap I rode a 54 min lap, and then my last lap I brought that down to a 52 min lap. Not bad for keeping it in the granny gear for the entire lap and just "taking it easy". I finished off the race with 8 laps and no knee pain at all. So I'm really happy with that. I'm sure that I only finished somewhere in the middle of the pack of the 77 solo starters (no results posted yet), but I got some great training for Chequamegon in, and at the same time realized that maybe my 24hr solo racing career isn't over yet. :)
Thanks to Tonia once again for the pit support, thanks to Auntie Alane and Dick for visiting and bringing deviled eggs, and thanks to Brandon and his dad and bro-in-law for dropping by for a bit. Also, thanks to the WI State Patrol for not pulling me over as I flew home trying to stay awake on Saturday after the race.

This weekend Heather and I head to ND for a nice long visit with the family and friends back home. Plus, we have to drop off Trent's new pimpy road bike!

More pics posted over on the TBB blog!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the successful ride, and the fact that your bike didn't break. Also have good trip back to ND.

Anonymous said...

Tonia and Alane were awesome!
Afton was a blast this year, though I think Vino is dead since his blog is a month old now. It's like he has nothing to talk about...
It was great riding with you Brian, and Dave if you're still alive.

Brooks Leedahl said...

simmons is going in the blogs of shame.

terrible.

Brian said...

Thanks Nathan. Too bad you won't be back in town for Labor Day as well. When are you back in GF next?

I agree Trent. Nothing for Vino to blog about at all... ;) Nice race, Trent. You race for redemption was a success!

Vino = shameful blog. Oh dear.

Anonymous said...

I think that the next time I will be back is around X-mas time hopefully.

G-reg said...

Still wearing the IF jersey, your trusty Deluxe is somewhere hoping for your unfortunate death. Joking aside, good work fellas. How is the atmosphere at Afton? Is it staying pretty laid back?