Monday, June 04, 2007

Chainsuck sucks

Yesterday was my first mtb race of the season. It was a marathon race, 40 miles of fun on the dirt. Even though it poured on the drive up to Wausau, thankfully no rain had fallen at the race venue. The race began as a mass start for all 150+ Comp racers. The start was pretty uneventful, I didn't want to go too hard being that the race was so long. The first of four 10 mile laps went very smoothly...I was in the top 25-30 racers and still feeling strong. That's when it started to rain...nothing too hard, just enough to soak the course. The second lap was going fine until near the end when I was starting to experience some chainsuck in my middle chainring due to all the mud. For those that do not know, this is chainsuck:
By the start of the third lap, I could no longer use my middle chainring, so I was forced to keep it in the big ring. This was ok in the flat, fast sections, but not very fun at all in the technical parts of the course. Then, in the middle of that lap, I started getting chainsuck in the big ring as well. I couldn't pedal more than 5-10 strokes without it doing it. I would have to stop and pull the chain out each time. Sucky. So, after doing that for 5 miles, I decided to call it a race right after the start of the fourth lap. Thirty miles of muddy fun = messed up bike.
The end result after a quick cleaning...yes, that's bare carbon there.
Ouch. When I started the race, there was a metal protector in that spot, but that must have gotten ripped off at some point. I got a new protector from the warranty guys at work, but I'm not sure how much of that mess will get covered by it. Makes me want to get an aluminum mtb frame again. :)


I don't have good luck with that Wausau course at all. Last year I flatted there, then there was the monsoon at 24-9 that Vino got caught out in, and now this. I'm not too disappointed though, as I felt strong during the whole race; the legs/lungs felt good.


Heather and Mary had a tri yesterday as well. They both did very well from what I've heard, maybe Heather will post a recap with some pics on her blog...along with pics of our new roof and gutters. :)


Up next: The Wisconsin State Road Champs on Sat.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fixed gear or SS that carbon fiber monster.

Simmons said...

Man that sucks. Did you forget about your granny gear :) Way to keep going as long as you could. You should be ready to fly at the State Champs! How about a posting on the TBB blog of everyone's results. Way to Heather and Mary!

Any word on the jerseys yet? I really want to wear one up in Windypeg :)

Brian said...

Can you imagine how light the 9.9 would be as a SS? Crazy.

There was no way that the chain was going in the granny with all the crap down there.

I'll update the TBB blog, per Vino's request. :)

Anonymous said...

I think team brown bear needs to do the tri results.

Anonymous said...

I think that instead of an aluminum frame you should go back to something a bit more traditional; say like a Rootbeer colored Trek 970. Just a suggestion.

G-reg said...

Dude that.....................................................



















Sucks :)

Anonymous said...

Hockey tape is the answer to all wearing and tearing on a bicycle.

Brian said...

I haven't looked at the rusty BB shell on the 970 in awhile. I'm a little bit scared to, actually...

I take it the hockey tape is working well on your crank arm, Trent? :)

Anonymous said...

Imagine crazy light.

Achieve crazy light and fixed gear goodness with a 9.9, eno hub, and a front brake so you can do cool pedaling nose wheelies. No grips, just hockey tape over aluminum foil.

Simmons said...

You should seriously try some of this stuff and see how well it works on the 970.

http://www.evapo-rust.com/