Monday, October 23, 2006

The Joys of Phlegm

Hello all. I thought I had better do a new blog post before Vino's head exploded. :) Hehe. So, here is my recap of this busy weekend.

Heather's parents got into town on Thurs evening and stayed until Sun morning. On Sat, they went with Heather into Madison and explored all the fun sites while Brooks and I got muddy. Everyone wave at Joyce! I bet that Jim would have had more fun watching us race than watching them shop. ;)

The joys of phlegm indeed. I started to get sick last Sun, and am still under the weather now. Sucky. My stages have been like this: Runny nose/general grossness (Sun-Wed), stuffed up nose/head cold (Thurs-Sat), and I am currently in the sore throat/"hey, I bet that I have tuberculosis" cough phase. Not fun.

I wanted to race regardless though, being that there were alot of points to be had with 2 races this weekend. So...the first race was on Sat at an old landfill. Why they thought that holding a bike race at a landfill was a good idea is beyond me. It was beyond muddy. Just sticky grossness and grass. Both Brooks and I got off to good starts from the front row and remained in the front group for the first lap. But then I started to slow way down, due to me not being able to breath and my wheels not being able to spin. I called it a race after 3 of the 6 laps.

Onto Sunday's race. Another muddy one, but in a much better venue, with almost a mtb-like feel with some fun singletrack. Brooks and I got crappy start positions and had to start from the back, but we made our way back up quickly regardless. My legs felt great during the race, but once again I could not breath properly and could not hang with the lead group for too long. Ended up 12th. This is a course that I feel I could do well on...maybe next year! Brooks took the win for Team Brown Bear, relegating the hated (and arch-rival to Team Brown Bear) Sachs boy down to 2nd. Nice job, Franklin. Heather raced in the Cat 4 Women's race and did very well for her first time ever riding in those type of muddy conditions...and she got the much coveted Lanterne Rouge in the process!!

A pic of my bike after the Saturday landfill race. Forty pounds of energy-robbing fun!
Our solution to the problem was to stop at the local car wash on the way home.
Two thumbs up for a job well done. Both the car and the bikes came out sparkly clean.
Brooks during the Sunday race. That guy beside him is thinking "Venga! Venga!".
It's a bird, it's a plane! Nope, it's just me leaping over some barriers.

This upcoming Sunday is going to be a busy one as well, with the 5th cross race in the WCA series (in Milwaukee) as well as my first league hockey game of the year that night! That's right, I joined an adult hockey league, playing every Sunday from Oct-April. That's alot of hockey. I'm on Team Gray. Hopefully my sickness clears up before then!

Talk to you all later.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

should team brown bear represent in platteville on saturday?

Brian said...

Looking at mapquest, it would be a little over a 1.5 hour drive to get there.

I'd consider doing it if:

1. I am feeling better.
2. It's not muddy. That really sucked having 2 muddy races in one weekend...cleaning the bike, shoes, and clothes only to get them messed up again the next day.

What do you think?

Anonymous said...

no.
we should punish ourselves on wednesday and chill out until sunday.
if it was a WCA race and worth points i'd say yes.

Anonymous said...

That's kind of a George Costanza leap over that barrier, Brian! Good work.

Brian said...

Why, thank you.

Co-stanza!

Scotty J said...

What position are you going to play? And boy Malkin is looking really tough GO PENS!!!

Scotty J said...

Oh and if you had to compare your playing style to that of an NHL player who would you compare yourself to?

Brian said...

I'm a forward. Comparable to Paul Kariya. ;)

The Pens have so much young talent it's crazy. If they can keep Crosby and Malkin around for a few more years, they will be quite the force. Much like Lemieux/Jagr.

Anonymous said...

Nice report Brian. I hope your head doesn't explode from the sickness :) Get well soon.

Trent is alive! Hi Trent.

Scotty J said...

Ok well if you are Paul Kariya, I would be on your third line ready to take out anyone who messed with you and your scoring touch. I consider myself a Tie Domi type, not very big but not afraid to drop the gloves with anyone (except for that Brooks Leedahl character he's tough). I also enjoy parking myself infront of the net and getting hacked by goalies got to love hockey.

Anonymous said...

i can't skate :(

Scotty J said...

I dont care Brooks I still fear your ferocity!!

Brian said...

Do you play hockey, Scott?

Lars said...

Brian, You look like an amputee in that jumping picture. Check it out yall.

Lars said...

I too have the phlegm and aneurism busting cough. Fun

Scotty J said...

I have not played in a while Brian but the rink here got closed in and now has year round hockey. I used to work at the rink, and plan on playing the next season they offer. I just get in trouble because they dont allow checking and thats the main part of my game I LOVE THE FORECHECK!!