Monday, October 30, 2006

Halloween Cross and Sun night hockey

These weekends just blow by when they are jam-packed with action. It makes going back to work on Monday mornings that much harder. :)

This Sunday we had the Halloween cross race in Milwaukee. It is a really fun course in a cool city park. Heather did very well, getting 12th place in the Womens Cat 4 race...and just getting edged at the line in a good sprint with another chickie. My race was like an exact replica of the first cross race of the season: I got off to a great start (2nd wheel for most of the first lap), then just lost all power for some reason. Was moving backwards for the rest of the race until the finish. Ended up 15th, just like in the first race. I did have a heck of a sprint finish though. I was riding with a dude for the last 2 laps, and his woman kept yelling at him, telling him that he could take me. We caught up to another guy near the finish, and right when we caught him, the other guy attacked. So I caught up to him, drafted off him for a few seconds, and then countered. Turns out that his woman was wrong. Hehe. :)

Brooks had a great race, coming in 2nd and beating the hated Sachs boy in the process. The dude that won was crazy fast. He is a Cat 2 roadie, so I am not sure what he is doing racing Cat 3 cross, but whatever. He was way up there from the very start of the race.

Here is a pic of Heather powering her way up one of the pavement sections.

Here is a shot of me, having a lovely jaunt, coasting through the fall leaves.
Brooks on the last pavement section before the start/finish line.
Here's me after launching my sprint away from the dude who's woman lies to him.
Then, just a few hours after returning home from Milwaukee, I had my first hockey league game of the season. It's right here in town at the Sun Prairie hockey arena. It's definitely no Ralph Englestad Arena, that's for sure. ;) We ended up losing the game, but it was a really good time. We should have a decent team as well. I played better than I thought I would being that I haven't played since April. The league is almost every Sunday night until next April, so if any of you loyal blog readers are ever in town for a weekend, you're more than welcome to come cheer Team Gray on. :)

And for parting words...Daylight Savings Time sucks. Getting off of work when the sun is already down sucks. That is all.

15 comments:

Lars said...

Good Job B&H. I have a feeling that woman dumped her lover last night when she realized what a Sally he is. Happy hockeying.

Anonymous said...

Happy Halloween! Good pics...looked like you were enjoying yourselves. Falling back an hour is fun - I'll take more sleep whenever I can get it.

Brian said...

Dr Andy- I bet that you are correct!

Tonia- But you only gain an hour of sleep for one day. And then for the next 5 months you have to deal with darkness at 5pm. Not cool.

Anonymous said...

Great race recap as always Brian. Sounds like you could use a break from cycling to let the legs recover a bit. It's been a looooong season. What do you think?

I hope to make it down to Wisco sometime soon. Go team gray!

Also, I got my brand new Team Brown Bear t-shirt yesterday. It is the gayest thing I have ever seen, and makes me wonder about you and Brooks :) Not that there's anything wrong with that :)

Tonia, I hope the jersey isn't as gay :)

Brian said...

Yes, it has been a LONG season. Racing started in early April, and the last CX race is mid-Nov. That's over 8 months of racing! The legs will enjoy some time off.

Are you seriously thinking of coming down to WI sometime? We do have an extra room... :)

Whatever, you know you love the shirt. And Tonia is a professional, she would only make the jersey gay if that's what we requested. And we didn't request that (although we did think about it).

Anonymous said...

I do like the shirt. It is a very nice material, and it fits well. I just don't think I could wear it in public :) I can't wait to see Tonia's jersey design. Any timeline for that?

Not sure when, but I definitely would like to come down and see you guys. Maybe take a tour at Trek and watch a hockey game or two? Do the Sioux play down there again this year?

Brian said...

I'm going to wear mine in public. Wear it to races for sure, and maybe it will make an appearance or two at work...

No timeline for the jersey design. She's busy with work and fixing her house. We don't need them until next season anyway. :)

The Sioux don't come to Madtown again this year...but you could take a tour at Trek and we could find other stuff to do in Madison.

Anonymous said...

Jersey status: I plan on bringing some layouts with me to Sun Prairie on the 10th. Get some feedback and go from there. I will try a couple styles - one retro, (not entirely gay) and one more aggressive.

Anonymous said...

i like a gay

Anonymous said...

i meant i like the idea of a little bit of gayness to the team brown bear jerseys, not that i like one gay (person) in particular. NTTAWWT.

Scotty J said...

You just don't like one gay i particular i bet you LOVE one gay in particular

Anonymous said...

i do indeed love one gay in particular. his mother named him reginald kenneth dwight.

Anonymous said...

You guys are all gay.

Brian said...

Tonia finally figured it out.

Anonymous said...

I'm telling Dad.
Sorry Heather, for having to live as Brian's beard.