Monday, October 16, 2006

Cross racing / On-call / Visiting family

Hello all. Yesterday was the 2nd cross race in the WCA series. As Brooks pointed out in his race recap, the course was not designed for cross racing at all, and kind of sucked from a spectator's point of view because of how much it was spread out. But it was a good time, nonetheless.

Heather did her very first cyclocross race (her very first bike race in general, actually) in the Women's Category 4 race. Despite starting from the back because of the crappy start area, she managed a very good 11th place. Not too shabby for her first ever bike race!! She is planning on racing some more races in the series now as well. Nice job Heathrow.

Brooks and I were not sure when to line up for the start (since it was a 5min jaunt to the start line from the cars), so we didn't get a warmup at all and decided to get a better start position instead. We got there and got perfect, first row positions. Excellent...until some latecomers decided that they could just wedge their way in front of us to my right. At the start, as the racers to the left of me were taking off on course, some idiot to the right of me in a Polska jersey couldn't clip in, so he swerved to his left in front of me. I had to literally track stand for a couple seconds waiting for him to get the hell out of the way. When he finally did, I was already down in around 15th place or so. Crappy. The first lap retardedness was not over yet though, as halfway through the lap, another idiot (on a Richard Sachs custom cross bike with carbon wheels) decided to completely cut a chicane, hit a rock in the process, wipeout, and have his bike land right in front of me and another racer. Serves the guy right. By the time that I was past all that shenanigans, the lead group was already 20 seconds or so up course. Double crappy. So I spent the first 2 or 3 laps just trying to catch up to that group. Nice waste of energy that would have been completely avoided if not for a couple other racers. By the last lap, I had worked my way back into the top 10, and managed to catch another 2 riders in that final lap (ALMOST catching another group of 3), so I ended up 8th overall. The time gaps were very small in the top 10, so I am sure that if I could have avoided that first lap mayhem, I would have been in the top 5 group. Oh well, I guess that is racing sometimes... :)

Since blogger is not letting me post pics for some reason, here is the link to all the pics.

And, in other news:

A) This week I am on call for work. That sucks.
2- Heather's parents are coming to visit us this weekend. Good times...they haven't seen their first-born grandson in awhile.
c. Next weekend there are 2 cross races. Should be a good time.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice job Brian. You should have tried the "Sega Road Rash" side kick to that Polska jersey guy and a chain to the head of the Sachs guy :)

Grandson?!! Is there something you forgot to tell us at the Hub?

Anonymous said...

Oh ya, Great job Heather!!! Way to throw down after making a Grandson! :) Very impressive. I can't wait to see you dominate the women's field at Nine Mile next year.

Brian said...

Yeah, I refrained from any violence against the idiots, but they certainly deserved it.

You've met our son...cute little Vontoux. :)

Brian said...

I added a link for the pics in my post.

Anonymous said...

Go Mr. and Mrs. Abraham! You rock!

Dr. and Mrs. Bakke can definitely second the crappiness of being on call. In fact, Andy recently had the pleasure of rolling out of bed at 3AM to care for a man with a massive rectal bleed. Great fun.

Anonymous said...

Race Report?