Friday, December 09, 2005

Stupid people and fun people

First I will start with the stupid people. Today I was driving to work, and the roads were a little slick from some snow that we got last night. But it wasn't too bad. As I am making my way along, I see an ambulance coming in the opposite direction with its lights on. The car in front of me, upon seeing the ambulance, decides against just slowing down and moving over to the shoulder, and instead slams on its brakes and starts sliding around the road. At this point I have to hit the brakes hard as well to avoid this whole mess, and in doing so am left with only 3 options. 1, I can veer into the opposite lane and hit the ambulance head on. 2, I can slam into the back of the sliding car in front of me. Or 3, I can fly into the snow-filled ditch. So I decided on 3. And then I was in the ditch. Fun times. And the other car didn't think it was too big of a deal, and just nicely drove off. So I waited there until a state trooper stopped and called it in to the local towing company. About 45 min later, the tow truck shows up, pulls me out in like 2 min, and after paying the $63 bill, I am back on my way to work. Showed up to work about 1.5 hours late, but Mark didn't mind, so that's good.

So I am left with the conclusion that drivers here really do suck, as Heather can attest to as well, being that yesterday it took her about an hour to get home from work because people were going 20mph on the highway because it was snowing a little bit. Oh well.

On to the fun people. This weekend Tonia, Trent, and Mario are coming here to pay us a visit, and then on Sun evening Andy gets here for his interview on Tues. So we will have a busy little house. That will be fun. Tonight is also the little Xmas shindig at John Burke's house. And a big hockey weekend with the Gophers playing the Sioux at the REA. Fun, busy weekend ahead here. Talk to you all later.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

IF you plan on blowing us off for hockey tell me now so I can save my gas $.

Brian said...

:D

Don't worry about it. Drive safe!

Simmons said...

How was the party? Details, details.

G-reg said...

Ahhh, the beauty of all wheel slide. Make sure the plastic covers under the Suby are still there, some of the stuff is vulnerable to being damaged by plowing into deep snow. I probably don’t need to explain how I know this. My Bridgstone RE-92’s were damn near new last winter, and not that great in the snow. The 60$ a wheel BFGoodies I had on the O.G. Suby were a little bit better. So If I was in the “Great White North” this winter I’d get some better tires. And then buy some STi wheels/tires off eBay for dirt cheap for the summer.

Lars said...

I am back in blog land now from living in an airport for 7 days. See you guys tomorrow night!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, let's hear about the party at the pres house.

G-reg said...

Late spring 06 for some R953, would you get that over Ti?

Brian said...

Tough call. 953 would probably be a good deal cheaper, and it would be cool to have it right when it becomes available. Non-rusting steel alloy or titanium....I don't know. I wonder if it would ride similar to 853?

G-reg said...

Another small 953 experimenter said the 953 frame would cost around what their straight gauge Ti frames would, but be lighter

Brian said...

Lighter than the ti? But around the same price? If 953 rode similar to other steel, I think I would go that route then. Once you are a 50+ master, then you can get a nice custom ti frame....and be really grumpy. :)