Wednesday, October 22, 2008

A Tale of Two Races

The Josef parents visited us this past weekend. More of a relaxing visit, just hanging out and they also brought us a desk to use in our sunroom.

They came with on Saturday to Badger Prairie Park to watch their first cross race. It was a really nice day out...the sun was shining and it was perfect cross weather. I got a good start and once again got the holeshot into the first corner. I led for the first half lap until a couple riders came around me, and I stayed with them. After the first lap was over I lost contact with the leading trio and started to fall back. I got caught by another group and couldn't stay on their wheels either. I just felt like crap. Riders would catch me and just go right by. I would try to stay with them, but it felt like I had no power left. With three laps to go, I called it a race. I was moving steadily backwards and was already out of the points anyway. I'm not sure what happened, but that might be the worst my legs have felt in a race all season.
On Sunday was the race in Gibbs Lake Park, which is a really cool course. They switched it up a bit from last year (ran it in reverse). I was a bit nervous about how I would feel after the crappy race the day before. Brooks and I drove there in the morning...it was another nice day, a little bit colder though. I didn't get that good of a start, as I slipped my pedal right away. I was still in the top 5-6 riders though through the first set of chicanes. Tim, who has won the last 4 races I think, took off halfway through the first lap and Dave chased after him. I settled into a chase group with 2 other riders. Eventually Dave faded off of Tim's pace, and I put in an effort to bridge up to him. I caught him the next lap and took off on my own in 2nd place, but there was a group of 3 riders maybe 10 sec back from me. I rode by myself for the next 3 laps, trying to catch Tim in front and hold off the group behind me. With one lap to go, Dave and Greg caught up to me and Greg immediately put in an attack. I managed to get on his wheel, but Dave got dropped. We came around the last set of corners and Greg had too much of a gap for me to close down in the sprint, so I ended up 3rd. I think that leaves me in 4th place in the Cat 3 standings right now (they haven't updated yet for this weekend, but I think I passed two riders and got passed by two others...so it ends up the same).
Much happier with the result on Sunday. Weird that your legs can feel so crappy one day and so good the next day. Strange. The Halloween Cross race is this Sunday in Milwaukee. That was my first ever cross race three years ago.
Also on Sunday is the first league hockey game of the season!! I am on Team Blue this year. I can't wait!

4 comments:

Simmons said...

That last photo looks like the water bars section at TR. Way to step it up on Sunday! Must have been performance anxiety Saturday with the in laws there. GO BLUE!

Anonymous said...

Hey..
Saw your Eddy M. Premium.
Any interest in selling the frameset?
Thanks
Michael
Michael@eckerenvelope . com
(Near Milwaukee)

Anonymous said...

Hey Brian, I just checked your cycle X standings and you are now in 2nd place overall. WOW! You are having a great season. Keep it up!

Brian said...

It wasn't as steep as the water bars section at TR...it was just a bunch of logs that they put on the ground about 4 feet apart. I never have performance anxiety...just ask Heather! ;)

Michael, I probably wouldn't be interested in selling it right now. But I highly recommend the frameset...light, stiff, and fast!

Thanks Auntie Alane!