Friday, October 03, 2008

Sun Prairie Cross Weekend

Last weekend was the start of the cross season, and both races were right in Sun Prairie, which was nice and convenient. They were also UCI races, so lots of Pros traveled from afar to gather some valuable UCI points. Watching the pros tackle the same course (at MUCH higher speeds) was pretty cool.

Saturday's race I got a crappy start...maybe midpack in the 50+ rider field. I used a lot of energy on the first couple laps trying to get back up toward the front. I settled in with a group for the majority of the race until the last couple laps where I got my legs back and moved up a few spots. I ended up 12th on the day, which isn't fabulous, but better than what I'd done the last couple years at the SP course. One of my co-workers, Bruce, was there taking pics with his massive lens:

On Sunday there were plenty of TBB supporters out for the festivities with Heather, Brooks, Mary, Scott, and his wife Kayla out to spectate. They started us on the midget car race track:
I got a much better start than Saturday, got the holeshot and led for the first 3/4 of a lap. A group of five was right on my wheel and on the 2nd lap they went past me and got a gap. I rode with another couple guys for most of the race until we dropped one guy with two laps to go.
On the last two laps, I kept getting caught behind lapped traffic during the technical zig-zag section, and the other rider got a slight gap on me that he held to the line. So I ended up 7th.
A better result than the day before, but I was still hoping for more. I did manage to collect $25 in cash payout. James Lalonde, the younger bro of Marko and Jesse, won both races easily. What a fast family. Jesse works at Trek now, so maybe he can teach me how to be fast on the lunch rides. :)

This weekend there are two more cross races...one on Saturday in Cambridge and the other on Sunday in Delafield. I am planning on going to both. Hopefully I can manage to get into the top 5 for more points.
Also on tap for this weekend is odds and ends projects around the house. Have to finish up with some random stuff before winter hits!

7 comments:

G-reg said...

I couldn't see the XO's sweet new paint job, it was hidden by Brian's "I'm racing face" and the Jumbo lower lip. That, and nice work.

Brian said...

The only way to race cross is with your mouth wide open and your tongue out! ;)

Anonymous said...

Nice pics! I really like the flashy black and white handle bar tape. Your legs will be fast this weekend - I can feel it. This is also the weekend our house will sell. Oh, and add to your list of odds and ends- caulking the outside threshold of your front door. I don't think I did that because it needs some insulation in it still... I did do the sides though. :)

Anonymous said...

Where were the pictures of the midget cars? I can only picture Squez dressed as "Speed Racer" in a small pedal car chasing the field. Why?

Brian said...

Tonia- You certainly like that black/white tape. Hehe. I do hope your house sells soon! Caulking the front door threshold was already on our list. :)

Pat- Thankfully they didn't have the midget cars out there during our race. The dust would have been even worse. With Squez and the Speed Racer costume, perhaps Foxy can work his magic with PhotoShop and come up with something good. :D

Robb Lunak said...

I think it's funny that keep posting racing pictures. Once you have the baby, everything will change bry guy.

Tracy and Robb

Brian said...

Don't ruin it for me Robb! Are you saying no more racing or no more racing pictures? ;)

I know...I'll just post racing pics AND baby pics in the same blog. Problem solved. :)