Thursday, September 11, 2008

WotN RR & New P1 Bike

I had a good time back in GF visiting everyone. As usual, the time went by quickly and before you know it, I was back in WI at work on Monday.

On Saturday morning, I decided to do the Warrior of the North road race just outside of GF. It's been three years since the last time I was in town to do it, so it was fun doing it again. Saw a bunch of the old gang...Pat, Sears, UND guys, etc. It is a 32mi, out and back course. It started out pretty mellow for the first 5 miles or so until John from Fargo started trying to attack to break it up a bit. Each time it was brought back and everyone regrouped. A couple UND/SBS guys, Andrew and Nathan, were at the front most of the time riding tempo. It wasn't until after the turnaround that more serious attacks were made...usually by Mario from the UND team. He attacked twice and got a gap. Both times I bridged up to him, thinking we might be able to make it stick, but the group would catch back on. The group made the turn for the last 5 miles and the pace slowed down...everyone was just waiting it out for the sprint I guess. With maybe 2 miles to go, Mark Harmon (blast from the past!) threw in an attack that was soon reeled in, but kicked the speed up nicely. The group was starting to break apart as we approached the finish, and I could see Mario and John just up the road trying to get away. I moved around a couple riders and caught on to them just as Mario started his sprint. I got on his wheel for a bit, looked back and saw that John was catching up, so I got around Mario and started to sprint. I ended up holding them both off and taking the win! Fun times. Evidently they are going to post pics of the race, so if I find some, I will post them.

A few weeks ago I mentioned getting another P1 frame painted up. Here are the results:

My very own UND Fighting Sioux bike! The arrow on the top tube is on both sides.
The all hand-painted headtube has both the standard UND logo and the Sioux logo. The headtube alone took 8 hours for the painter to complete.
The painter used a couple different metallic green colors...the bottom of each tube is really dark green, and as you turn the bike over, it gradually fades into a light green. He called it "bass boat metallic" because once the sun hits it, it just sparkles.
Profile shot.
It turned out really well! I'll post some pics after I get it built up as well.

Chequamegon is this weekend. We should have a good-sized TBB crew there with Rick, Greg, Trent, Vino, and myself making the journey to Hayward, WI for the race. Will be fun seeing everyone and riding that 40miles of rolling hills/gravel roads/sandy doubletrack/2500 racers once again.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is friggin awesome. I would be hesitant to even ride it its so purty. I would almost consider just having it as a momento. How long did it take, and how much would it cost to get that done?

Brian said...

The painter said that it took 16 hours total to paint it.

I'm not sure about the cost if a consumer wanted it done...P1's most expensive paint scheme is Warm Fire ($1500), which takes about 7-8 hours to complete.

So pretty pricey...

Justin Fox said...

Jesus that thing is crazy.

G-reg said...

Sioux-eet, very well done....if not a bit excessive. If they want an Attitude to "experiment" with I've got one that could use some touch up.