Saturday, September 20, 2008

Racing, Bikes, and other Updates

Hello all. Before I go into my Chequamegon recap, here are some pics from the Warrior of the North race a few weekends ago, courtesy of Rick Mangan.

The start. You can see my head.
Here we come for the finish!
Here's my sprint for the win.
Accepting my trophy. I like the guy with the bibs over his shirt. :D
So anyway, Chequamegon was last weekend, and TBB was out in force. Dave was an excellent Director Sportiff, as he did water bottle handups and put our bikes on the line at 5am. Thanks Dave! It was much warmer than last year, but wet and rainy, which was interesting with the massive puddles covering the trail. Just splash right through them! My legs felt a bit slow at the beginning of the race, but they came around by the last 15 miles or so. I think I started too hard on the paved start, which led to me feeling sluggish. I was able to power over Firetower climb and keep the pace high on the rolling hills in the last 10 miles, and I finished with a new personal best time...by a whopping 1 second! Not bad, considering the wet conditions. I ended up 207th out of the 1700 or so racers.


The rest of TBB: Greg crashed in the first 10 miles and suffered an AC separation, Trent started cramping after 25 miles and ran out of food, and Rick had to ride the last hour of his race in a downpour. Ouch. Heal up quickly, Greg!

Here's the only pic of myself that I could find online. More pictures of me from MarathonFoto can be found here.
Random news: Tonia is visiting for the week and helping out around the house with various projects. Will be fun to have her here for a few days! Heather got a new car today!! The Forester has over 140k miles, and we needed something bigger with a little one coming soon. We pick it up on Thurs, and she'll post pics on her blog shortly after. Cyclocross season starts next Saturday, right here in lovely Sun Prairie. Good times. We are getting new carpeting installed in our living room, also on Thurs. That will look much better.

For those that actually read the entire post, here is a bonus for you. A video that Dave "5 Ears" Sears took of the sprint finish from Warrior of the North. Better slow it down, we go by pretty quickly. :)

3 comments:

Simmons said...

Nice post! It was fun to be Director Sportiff, but it is much more funner to race :)

Any chance the new car is one of those new VW minivans :)

That video is pretty cool. Looks like you are going 30+mph.

Brian said...

I agree...it would be more fun with you out on the course, suffering with the rest of us. :)

Nope, sorry to disappoint, but not a minivan.

That's the same place that we used to sprint after we did our 70 mile Llama-Turtle-Field loop, Vino!

Simmons said...

That's a great loop. I need to start riding those loops again on the weekends that I'm in GF.