Things started off on Friday afternoon with the time trial. It's been years since I last did a TT. I slapped my Cosmic Carbones on my road bike and there was my TT bike. The course had rolling hills, lots of corners, and plenty of wind. I ended up 6th with a time of 32:04 for the 20k course, so just under a 24mph average.
On Saturday was the crit in a park...it was a short loop with a decent little climb, some fun, fast corners on a descent, and then a sketchy turn off of a driveway. This was not a course where the pack was going to remain together. I got with a group of 4 other riders (there were 2 packs of riders in front of us) after 4-5 laps and we stuck together until the end. I ended up 15th, which I'm fine with since I normally suck at crits anyway.
Sunday brought the road race and the sun/heat. 6 mile loop that we had to do 7 times for 42 miles. This was a fun course...no real big climb, just lots of rollers and twists and turns around a lake. The pace was pretty slow for the 1st lap, and then 2 riders broke away at the beginning of the 2nd lap. I was feeling good, so I decided to bridge up to them. Once I reached them, they didn't want to work anymore, and they waited for the field to catch them. I continued on and soon after another rider bridged up to me. We started working well together, taking 1-2 minute pulls, and we soon had a good gap on the field. We stayed away for almost 4 laps, getting caught toward the beginning of the 6th lap. It was probably destined not to succeed, being that there were only 2 of us, but it was fun nonetheless. If we could have had 2-3 more riders with us, then maybe it would have stuck. I didn't really contest the sprint for the finish since I was further back in the pack, and rolled across the line in 18th.
Other tidbits from the weekend:
- Heather did well in her tri, getting 17th in her age group.
- She surprised Brooks and I by showing up to watch our road race on her way home from her tri.
- The new Brown Bear jerseys look fantastic on the road.
- Brooks' Reynolds Stratus DV-UL carbon rear wheel, 2005-2007, RIP. Sometimes they die too young, unfortunately.
- I forgot how good Taco John's is. We hit that up after the road race.
- The Dr. Bakke's are making their move to OH. I saw Andy for a total of 10 min during a "rest stop" on his journey. He DOES NOT like parades.
- On Saturday night I went with Mary and Brooks to watch Roller Derby. That freakin ruled. If you have the chance, I highly recommend going.
- The weekend ended nicely by playing some disc golf in perfect conditions at a course in East Madison. Really cool 18 hole course.
- All this action, and absolutely no pics from me. My apologies. :)