Monday, May 21, 2007

Charley Horse

Brooks and I went to the Denzer RR on Sat. I had never ridden the course before; it was a 12 mile lap with one tough long climb (might be the longest climb I've seen here in WI so far) and some fast descents (my computer showed 48.4 mph as the max speed after the race). It was really nice out, already around 70 degrees and sunny at 9am for our race start. We started with a group of about 40 riders, but the big climb was only a few miles after the start and that blew apart the field nicely. I was in the lead group with about 20 racers or so at the top of the climb on the first lap, and we started working well once we realized that we had a gap on the rest of the racers. On the last lap we were still all together when we hit the big climb again and it succeeded in breaking it all up again. Eight riders got off the front and I didn't have the legs to bridge back up to them. At the top of the climb I was in a group of 3 riders...there were 2 groups in front of us, the 8 leaders and another group of 4 behind them. We pushed the pace to catch up to the group of 4, and we finally caught them with about 2 miles left in the race. Our group could see the leading group in front, but we didn't have enough time to connect back up with them. As my group was starting to sprint for the line, my left leg locked up in a cramp and I rolled across the line in 15th. Kind of disappointing, but I just didn't have the legs to stay with the leaders on the big climb. That's bike racing sometimes.
I was planning on doing the WORS race on Sunday, but I woke up with my left leg as stiff as a board, so I decided against it. It ended up being 50 degrees and raining, so maybe it was for the better. :)

This upcoming weekend I will be back in GFND for a few days of fun with family and friends. Should be a fun trip, it's been awhile since I was back home.

No more races this month, but June will be packed with racing. Two WORS races, the WI State road race, and a stage race in Whitewater. Throw in a 5-day excursion to a lake cabin near Hayward, WI with Heather's family, and you have one busy month. :)

5 comments:

Simmons said...

15th is a great result! Are you still Cat4 or did you move up to Cat3?

Can't wait for this weekend!

Brian said...

Still Cat4 right now. If I do well at State Champs and/or the UWW Stage race, I was thinking of upgrading to Cat3 for the St Cloud stage race in July.

We'll see what happens.

G-reg said...

Walk it off Sally!

Anonymous said...

HAPPY ONE YEAR ANNIVERSARY this weekend.

Hope you get a chance to spend some righteous naked time with the wife...

Anonymous said...

oh dear!