Sunday, November 19, 2006

Royale with cheese

What's up everybody? Today was the last bike race of the season, the WI State Cyclocross Champs, right here in Sun Prairie. I had a 4min drive to get to the venue. Nice, I can handle that. It was a nice day, a bit cold with the wind, but sunny, so not bad at all.

The race was held at the Angell Park Motor Speedway, and it was a fun, challenging course. Some good climbs, fast chicanes, some fun off-camber stuff, and a stair run-up. Brooks entered the race 11 points up on Greenblatt in the WCA standings, so it was close. The field was much bigger as well, with a lot of MN and IL racers showing up. They did call-ups at the start, so both Brooks and I got front row starting positions. The first lap was hectic with all the tight turns and chicanes. A lot of rubbing bikes and racers. But then it got more strung out. I didn't feel bad, but I didn't feel good either. Both my legs and lungs just didn't have it, which I was pretty much expecting being that I haven't ridden in a week and a half. Finished up in 18th place. The real fun was at the front for the state champ title and the series title. A guy from MN ended up with the win, with Greenblatt coming in for 2nd. Brooks finished in 5th...which left them TIED for first in the standings. Wow. From what I can remember, they use number of wins as the first tie-breaker (Brooks got 2, Greenblatt got 1), so Brooks should still be the winner of the series title. We'll see I guess. Great finish to the series though, with it being that tight. Nice job, Brooks. I think that I ended up 10th overall in the series.

Right before the race. Lots of racers going for that state championship!
Me going down a fun little downhill before a good climb.
Part of the TBB support crew is pictured below. Vontoux was at his first cross race of the season. He seemed to enjoy himself.

We had a good size cheering section there for this race with Heather, Mary, Brooks' parents, and a co-worker of mine (the other Brian) and his girlfriend all there.

Tonight I had my hockey league game as well. It didn't look good from the start, as only 8 of our players showed up. So we only had 3 players on the bench at a time. The worst part of this is how tired you get by the 3rd period. The good part is all the ice time that you get. I had my best game of the season so far; I felt comfortable and my passes were connecting. I ended up scoring 2 goals and assisting on 3 others for a total of 5 points in Team Gray's 8-5 win over Team Black. That puts Team Gray at 3-1 so far this season. Nice.

And with today's race, that concludes the 2006 racing season. It was a fun season. Maybe I will post a season recap with my goals for next season sometime soon. But now it is time for a month and a half vacation off the bike before starting base training for next spring's road season. Sounds very relaxing.

7 comments:

Scotty J said...

A real Lemieux like performance!!!

Anonymous said...

Great job Brian! Both with the CX season and the hockey game. Pretty soon you'll be biking just to train for hockey season :)

Scotty J said...

If you keep that pace you would average 410 points a season on the NHL level Sid the Kid got nothing on you man!!!

Brian said...

I've found that biking doesn't do really well to train the legs for hockey...and vice versa. Totally different leg muscles apparently.

But the aerobic benefits from biking appear to help in hockey.

Anonymous said...

you need some new song lyrics. i'm getting sick of the seger.

Brian said...

Aah, no one reads those things anyway. :)

I'll change them this week.

Scotty J said...

i read them.