Wednesday, February 01, 2006

A Trip, a Frame, and the Circle of Trust

Hello all. For the first time in a long while, I actually have fun news to tell.

First things first. Heather and I got engaged a few nights ago! Luckily for me, I found a cheap ring at a local pawn shop ;) , and even more luckily for me, she said yes. So we are now engaged! Crazy. No plans yet for when or where. We brought the ring to the jewelry store to get it fitted, but they have to ship it out somewhere, so she won't get it back for a couple weeks, so that sucks. Vontoux and Birdie are excited to no longer be bastard children.

I am also planning on heading home the weekend of Feb 10-12, so that is fun. Leaving work early that Fri so that I can get home early enough to head to the Hub, have a burger, and meet up with friends. Should be a good time and I look forward to seeing everyone again. Heather doesn't know if she will be able to make it or not, she has to see if she can get out of work early or not.

Yesterday I also got my new Project One Madone! I got a call from the P1 dude around 11am telling me that it would be done in a few days, but then he called back around 3pm and told me that it was in the mailroom. Needless to say, I promptly left the office and ran down to get it. I like it alot. Very cool blue, darker and more metallic than it looked on the website. And I didn't have to bring it to a shop to have the headtube/BB shell faced, as they did it at the factory. So that was nice. Here are some pics:














Here's a pic after I installed the seat/seatpost and the headset. Kind of hard to see the 'dart' scheme in this pic on the rear seatstays/chainstays, but it was dark out. :)














Here's a closeup of the cool blue color and the dart scheme. Of course I had to put a King on it!














Closeup of the rear triangle. One big difference that I notice on this frame compared to my Giant is the joint lugs are not nearly as big. The headtube, BB, and seattube lugs are all smaller. But they say that this frame is pretty stiff for as far as carbon frames are concerned. I can't wait to get on it for a ride!

11 comments:

Lane said...

congratulations Brian and Helen!! I AM VERY HAPPY AND VERY PLEASED! I will not be working at the Hub Friday so I cannot promise you that your Hub Special with Mayo and lettuce will be the best, but what I can tell you is that Martin Van Buren's nickname was Old Kinderhook. Old Kinderhook is also the nickname that I gave to Alan Young.

Justin Fox said...

Way to go B, I figured it wouldn't be long before you guys got hitched. I do think its funny however, that you dedicated 4 time the real estate on your post to talking about your new frame than getting married. I think I actually did the same thing now that I think about it. I'll be back in GF this weekend, so we'll just miss each other. I think one of these days we gots to get together, maybe have some smirnoffs and watch some brokeback mountain. Peace and congrats.

Brooks Leedahl said...

congrats on the engagement. the bike looks sweet. i also like the small lugs. if you think those lugs are small, check out the new cervelo R3. the seat stays are so so thin.

Lars said...

Happy Happy Joy Joy This is a very good thing. I am very happy for the 4 of you. It will be great when 50 years from now you guys and birdy can look back on your courtship and see what you have accomplished.

Brooks Leedahl said...

aluminum steerer?

Brian said...

Yep. Looks like Trek puts the same fork (Race X Lite) on all the Madone's, even the SSL and SSLx. They do make a fork above that, the Race XXX Lite, but that one has an aluminum steerer as well.

Simmons said...

Congratulations Heather and Brian! Nice frame also! The blue looks a lot like the blue on my 8000. It also looks a lot like the color scheme on your IF. Minus the stars. Very nice. What handlebar and other parts are you going with?

G-reg said...

Sucker.

Brian said...

How dare you compare it to your 8000! ;)

Yeah, similar to the IF color scheme (didn't plan that though). The red and white of the 9.9 will offset them nicely. :)

Putting all the parts from the Giant on it, except the new pedals that I got...Look Keo. I'll post pics when I get it fully assembled.

Anonymous said...

Well its about damn time that Heather made a respectable man out of you. Congratulations to the both of you. Another one bites the dust.

Brian said...

You got that all wrong....I'll never be a respectable man. :)

I wonder how Simmons is doing??

Too bad they don't have a live internet video feed of the Arrowhead 135.