Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Nail & Crash

Every now and then you have one of those races that you just want to forget. Last cross season, it was the state champ race in Sun Prairie. This year, it was once again at the course in SP. I like the course; it's a good mix of tight off-camber turns, run-ups, and flat power sections...but I don't think the course likes me. :)

It was a pretty good size field, and I had a pretty good start sitting in 4th-5th for the first few laps. Around the 3rd lap a group with Casey, Chris, Lance, and another rider got off the front a bit and I hung out in a group of 4 a little behind them. It stayed that way for a couple laps.
Here's the grandstand run-up...you came off the speedway track and ran up the stairs. Notice the new hbar tape and saddle combo.
The hill run-up...this was steep and forced you to run up it with a barrier at the bottom.
My cheering section comprised of Heather, Trent, Mario, and Tonia.
I was halfway thru my lap with 4 laps remaining when I heard a noise coming from my rear wheel, like something was caught in it. It didn't take long before I could feel the air pressure coming out of my tire. I rode the rest of the lap on a flat tire to the wheel pit where I switched out my rear wheel. I probably lost around 12 places before I was back out on the course. After the race, I saw what caused it:
That's one rusty, gross nail! I was trying to make some ground back up and had passed a few riders on the next lap when I took a corner too fast and crashed. Now I have some nice road rash on my thigh and elbow. At this point, there was only one lap left and there wasn't anyone close behind or in front of me, so I just coasted for the rest of the race and finished in 17th place. It was frustrating to lose that many spots due to the flat, but there's nothing you can do about stuff like that. Hopefully things will go better in 2 weeks for the state champs.

We had a nice visit with Tonia, Trent, and Mario. It was too short though. We planned out the new electrical outlets for the basement and they got to experience their first ever cross race. This upcoming weekend we are getting a visit from the Abraham family. Can't wait!

PS - Brooks has to update his blog now. A guy after the race bribed him with a pumpkin cookie to update it. :)

Hope everyone has a good Thanksgiving!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

To bad about the nail, that really sucks especially when you are doing so well to begin with. Oh well maybe next time. Happy Thanksgiving to you as well I hope you have fun. I will be riding the Dale Ball trails, and La Tierra trails for my turkey day. Hope To see you when I am home though around New Years. I will be in town for a week. Tell Heather I say hi and have a great weekend.

G-reg said...

Hey, remember that Crit we didn't do in Rosemount MN....Either do I.

Lars said...

I hope your bike is up to date on its tetanus shot.

Simmons said...

Happy Turkey Day!

Brian said...

What days will you be in GF, Nathan?

What crit are you talking about Greg? :)

Andy, my bike has been experiencing muscle stiffness and spasms this week. Should I be worried? :)

Any snow for you to ride on in Fargo yet Vino?

Anonymous said...

I will fly in on Dec. 29th and flyout Jan 5th.