Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Washington Park CX & Hockey

The Washington Park CX race was this past Sunday in Milwaukee. This is a fun course in a cool park and the weather was nice and sunny. I did my very first cross race here two years ago right after Heather and I moved to WI. I got a front row start position again and ended up having a great start, getting the holeshot leading into the first turn. I led for the first lap, including over the little bunnyhop barrier.
At the start of the 2nd lap, Casey and Lyle came to the front and upped the pace a little more to dwindle the group down.
Check out the skinsuit on the guy behind me. Killer!
By the beginning of the 3rd lap, it was down to the same 5 guys as last week in the lead. When we hit the switchback section toward the end of that lap, we had such a big gap that I couldn't even see any riders behind us.
We pretty much stayed together for the rest of the race until there were 2 laps to go. Casey and the young Baraboo rider attacked the group and rode off. My lungs were dying at this point, so I couldn't hang with them.
I rode the last lap by myself in no-man's land and rolled across the finish for 5th place again. With that result, I think I am now in 6th place in the standings, but I'm not sure since the website hasn't been updated yet.
All pics are courtesy of Madcross.org.
Thanks to Brooks for doing water handups. He was feeling strong in the 1/2 race, but unfortunately had a mechanical issue with his bike early in the race.

Sunday was also my first league hockey game. I hate to say it Team Green supporters, but it might be a long season. We have some good players, but not as many as last year. Doesn't matter though, I'll still have fun! We lost to Team Orange 4-1...I got the assist on our only goal.

Also, last but certainly not least...congrats to Heather on her big news! :)

6 comments:

Simmons said...

Good job on the cx race. That win is coming. I can feel it :)

Team Green just needs a couple weeks to mesh together. Then they will dominate the league and win the playoffs.

Nice driveway. Did you do it yourself?

Brian said...

Thanks for the added pressure Vino! ;)

We'll see what happens with Team Green. Anything's possible I guess.

No, it was pretty cheap to have a company come in and do it, so we went that route.

Simmons said...

No added pressure. Your that good :)

I forgot to say that I really like your new header. Great picture!

Anonymous said...

Okay people, it's time to say when Brian will win. What day will he win his first CX race? Here is the race skinny from inside sources. He races this coming Sat and Sun. Sunday is the supposed favorite course, Saturday is a new one. Driving distance is to Milwaukee both times. Same 2 guys seem to dominate the last couple of races. My guess is with a little strategy of sitting on one of the two or both, then dropping the hammer, victory occurs on Saturday. With a repeat on Sunday just to show some force (mental cx barriers). 2 races, 2 wins for upcoming weekend or Brooks makes Brian ride home from Milwaukee both times.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the good finish. As far as the big W, don't even worry about it there is nothing wrong with finishing where you are. But if you really did want to win I would say a branch in someones spokes could definitely up your chances. I;m not saying you should do this, but if one were to come flying from the direction of the water person it could very help : )

G-reg said...

What Squez wants to say is "cut him, you know with that knife you have stashed."