Monday, July 16, 2007

Flower boxes?

This weekend we had Eric, Katie, and Hayden come and pay us a visit. We had a good time, watching movies, playing with little Hayden, checking out downtown, etc. Eric fixed a section on our living room wall that was messed up from previous water damage and hung up Heather's beloved flower boxes. It's amazing to see how much Hayden has grown since the last time we saw him. Heather's aunt Linda and Phil also swung by on Friday evening to check out the house and eat chicken tacos. They are riding their motorcycle to Montana and then going thru Canada near Banff. Fun fun.

Here is little Hayden driving me around in a jeep at the Children's Museum in downtown Madison.
On Sunday I took off for a few hours to race the WORS marathon mountain bike race in Suamico. The course was an 11.5 mile lap that we did 4 times for 46 miles. It was a very fast course, probably about 9 miles of big ring doubletrack/fire roads and 2.5 miles of smooth, winding singletrack. The race started very fast, with pacelines forming like a road race on the big ring sections. I latched onto the leading group of around 20 or so riders and settled into that pace for the next 2 laps. On the 3rd lap, the front of the pack started to get separated during the singletrack sections and I ended up in a group of 5 chasing to get back to the leaders. About halfway thru that lap, we were lapping a Sport racer in the singletrack. She got completely off the trail to let us pass, but then started to get back on the trail right when I was going by her. My front wheel plowed into her rear wheel and I crashed on my driveside. My bike was ok, but when I went to stand back up, my right leg started to cramp. I continued on and took it easy for awhile so that my leg wouldn't fully lock up on me. But that meant that I also lost contact with the group. By the start of the last lap, my leg was feeling better and I was pushing to try to catch some more riders. I crossed the finish line very dusty (any exposed part of me was covered in a film of dust) and tired after a very fast 46 miles. I ended up in 4th place (only 22 seconds behind 3rd) in my age group and 26th overall out of 130 starters...my first podium appearance while flying the TBB colors. :)
When I went up to the podium, the announcer said that I was on Team Brown Beer, but then corrected himself. :)

6 comments:

Simmons said...

Looks like you had fun with the little guy. Maybe Heather and you should get started on one :)

Way to go on the podium! Sucks to think of what could've been if that lapped rider wasn't there. You better not get hurt before Nine Mile :)

Anonymous said...

Go Team Brown Beer!!! GLUG!

Anonymous said...

Where are some pics of these alleged flower boxes?

Brian said...

You and Jen can go first with the whole baby thing, Vino. :)

Trent, Heather took pics of the boxes being put up, so those will probably make an appearance sometime on her blog.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the podium showing, way to represent Team Brown Bear. Hopefully the next race will go a bit better for you, though you apperantly did fairly well at this one.

Robb Lunak said...

Lookin good Brian