Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Afton, Chicago Tri, and new bike goodies!

Hello everyone! What a fun, busy weekend. It feels like I haven't had a weekend off in a long time with France, Trek World, 24 hour races, etc. So this Labor Day weekend is going to be glorious!

On Fri and Sat was the 24 Hours of Afton (solo-style) with Trent, Vino, Sears, Chuck, and myself partaking in the fun. I have no fun pictures from the event, but Vino has some good ones over on his blog. Long story short was that I had 11 laps in by noon (race ends at 5pm), but my left knee, which had been bothering me since about 2am, really started to hurt on that 11th lap. Could barely push down or pull up on the pedal. So I decided to call it a race at that point. I didn't want to risk screwing it up. I was in 6th place at that point (out of 72 soloists), but ended up in 11th place after all was said and done. Not too shabby, but looking at the results, I think I could have ended up top 5 if I could have continued, so that's disappointing. Oh well, that's racing. Trent had a KICK-ASS race, dropping 40 min (!!!) from his last year's lap time and doing 6 laps. Now we need to convince Tonia that he needs a 07 Trek Top Fuel 8. Vino was suffering from 'emotional problems' and had to end his race at 3am. Sears did very well on his fixie (another person that needs a new bike! ;) ) and did 3 laps. I can't imagine doing that course without being able to coast. Chuck had a kick butt race as well, finishing with 10 laps. He also brought his huge RV. Thanks for the post-race shower! The plans for next year are still up in the air...we are switching things up by doing 24hr of 9mile solo...and then doing another race (possibly Afton) as a team.

Big thanks go out to Tonia for being our only support 'pit girl', Auntie Alane and Dick for providing company and bringing deviled eggs (as well as a place for me to stay, post-race), and Kerkove for kicking all of our asses.

While we were all suffering in MN, Heather and Mary went to Chicago for the Chicago Triathlon. They both did really well! Mary kicked some major butt, taking 10th in age group (out of 337), 381st overall (out of 3722). Heather got 62nd in the same age group and 1244th overall. They are both already planning on improving next year. Heather's goal is top 30, and Mary's is top 5. Brooks and I will have to push them extra hard. :) Here is a pic of the two lovely ladies:
With the extra money earned from Trek World, I decided to buy myself some early bday gifts. I love my Mavic Ksyrium's, but I wanted a more aero wheelset as well, so I picked up a pair of the Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL's. They look fast just sitting there on the Madone. I will still use the Ksyrium's for most everyday use, but will probably bust these bad boys out for races. I also found out that the bike that Heather wants for next season (Equinox 7 WSD) comes with 700c wheels instead of 650c this year, so she can use these for her tri's as well. Works out nicely.
Then I also got some new cranks for the XO-1. I wanted an external BB on there, and these carbon Bontrager cranks are quite pimp. Very sweet.
That's about all I know for now. I will be visiting the Ski and Bike Shop sometime soon for their Ascend install, so that will be fun. Have a week off from racing now, then I have another WORS mtb race followed by the Chequamegon Fat Tire 40 race. 2500 racers taking off at once...oh joy! Hopefully my knee feels better soon! :)

Hope you all have a good Labor Day weekend.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed Afton this year - as a soloist in the pit crew. Of course, "I don't know what it's like out there!"

Hope your knee feels better in the next few days.

Sorry for Dave's emotional problems - maybe he got too much puppy love on the trip down. Or maybe his mad Hot Dish Whorin' skills wore him out.

Trent can do what he wants with his money, as long as I get my cut first!

Brian said...

While you may not "know what it's like out there", you did an excellent job as a soloist pit crew! I believe you took first in your category.

I fear that we'll never know the extent of Dave's emotional problems, unfortunately.

So if Trent pays the wife tax, then he can buy his new bike??

Simmons said...

It was that time of the month. What more can I say :)

Lars said...

Damn you is fast. Almost as fast as Mary and Heathrow. Those wheels will help you catch them, major pimp.

Brian said...

Why do you think that I got the wheels? I needed something to help me keep up with Heather on our rides!