Monday, May 01, 2006

Unexpected bike purchase

I went into work last Fri, fully expecting to purchase a custom-painted Gary Fisher Ziggurat frame. Unfortunately, after emailing the warranty lady, she tells me that the 06 Zigg frames only come with disc brake tabs - no v brake studs. So I am SOL it would seem. A few hours later, one of the Project One guys comes over to tell us that he has a 17.5" 9.9 that was just returned to Trek by a dealer in FL. Seems that this particular 9.9 was actually built up and painted specifically for the P1 website as a 'model' bike, then shipped off to this dealer, where it proceeded to sit in a box for 3 months. The dealer then shipped it back to Trek without telling the P1 guys. So they were kind of upset, and they wanted to unload it for cheaper than the cost of a normal 9.9. It came spec'd very differently than a normal 9.9 or 9.8. XT Rapidfire instead of Dual Control, Hayes HFX 9 Carbon brakes instead of Shimano, etc. So I decided to take it off their hands for them. :) Here is the picture of it that was taken from the Project One website.

And here is a closeup of the headtube flames. They start at the front with a kind of goldish/yellow flame, then darken into a red flame.
I am already planning some modifications to it, taking some parts from the IF, some new parts, etc. Taking the Flite, Salsa Scandium stem, EC90 hbar, 959 pedals, King headset, and Mythos from the IF. Already ordered a new Fox F80RLT fork for it (the 06 are already out of stock, so I am getting an 07 in a few weeks with the new white color). Wheels are being ordered from the SBS; King ISO disc hubs with 717 disc rims. I will pick them up when I am home in a few weeks. Other than that, lots of parts will be sold from both this bike and the IF. So, if you need anything from either bike, give me a holler and we can work something out. :)

I will be racing/riding the IF until I get the fork and wheels for the 9.9 and can then swap out all the other parts. I'm looking forward to riding it! I hadn't really planned on getting another P1 bike, but the deal was just too good to pass up. It will also be interesting to ride disc brakes for the first time on my race bike. We'll see how that goes.

In other, non-bike-related news, I saw today that Gordon Lightfoot tickets are now officially on sale for his Sept 21st concert at the Overture Center. I am planning on going to buy tickets this Sat. If anyone wants to go with, I will buy tickets now so that we can all sit together. Just email me or let me know here. I was thinking of first row of the upper deck, or lower level.

In more bike-related news, congrats to Vino on surviving Trans-Iowa in monsoon-like weather conditions.

11 comments:

Simmons said...

Thanks Brian. I might be interested in some of the parts off of the 9.9 if they are still available. Call me or we can talk when you come up. I would like to update the Scrap with some quality parts that I can transfer to a different frame when that one is trashed :)

G-reg said...

I'll give you eleventeen dollars for that fine STDfork. I think I hear the If calling out "I need horizontal dropouts..........."

Lars said...

Holy fortuitous patience Batman. You scored bigtime. What will happen to the IF?

Brooks Leedahl said...

no sweet bonty tubeless wheels for the new bike?

Brian said...

Horizontal dropouts and a new paintjob would be sweet for the IF...but I am not sure what I will do with it yet. It will have to wait until winter.

I'm not sold on tubeless yet. I don't run low enough pressure in my tires to take advantage of their benefits. If the bike would have come stock with the Race X Lite or Race Lite wheels, I might have kept them, but it came with the Race wheels...so they're gone! :)

Brian said...

Nevermind about the Lightfoot tickets...appears that only season ticket holders can get tickets now. People only wanting tickets to one event have to wait until mid-August.

So I will wait... :)

G-reg said...

I happened to mess around with a bunch of tubless wheels today, and as the great Fox would say "I wish I had two more hands so I could give those tubless wheels four thumbs down. And if not horizontals, how about an EBB.

Brian said...

I would get horizontal dropouts instead of an EBB.

Maybe I will get it repainted and have them put S&S couplings on it so that I can fold it for fun. ;)

Simmons said...

Nice job on the road race! Lets have the race report.

I went out to TRSP tonight and did a few laps. It is in great shape. Just a little standing water in the gopher hills. Remember that trail that was scratched into the side of the horse trails? Well I went on it, and it is very rideable! Someone has done a little work out there. Hopefully it will still be in as good or better shape for next weekend.

Good luck tomorrow on the WORS race!

Vino :)

Justin Fox said...

Niiiiice man. You better get to trimming those brake lines...they're lookin a little "generous".

Brian said...

Yeah, I already bought the Hayes brake bleed kit to trim that rear hose.

The other lengthy hose is from that stupid PopLoc thing on the SID. That will be gone as soon as I get my Fox.