Monday, May 22, 2006

Don Rickles: "Close the door"

The countdown is on. It is now just 5 days until Heather and I get married! Crazy. We are both looking forward to it, and excited to get our families together.

This past weekend I had another road race on the same course as a few weeks ago. It was obvious from the beginning that it wasn't going to come down to a big sprint like last race. One of the teams with the most riders went to the front and drove the pace from the gun. Upon reaching the first big climb, they started 3 or 4 attacks to split the field. It worked. It cut the group in half within the first 5 miles of the race. Ironically, it also only left one of their riders in the lead group. Haha. The group of 20 or so stayed together until that same climb on the next lap. I was feeling good, so I launched an attack and crossed the top with 3 other riders. Shortly after, about 7 more riders bridged up to us. We all worked well together to keep the chase groups from catching back on to us. Entering the last couple miles, I could feel my legs starting to cramp. I hate that feeling. I held on until the others started their sprint, and despite my legs locking up, I still managed to beat a few other riders in the group and get 8th overall.

I had originally planned to do the WORS mtb race the next day, but my legs were still sore from the cramping, so I decided to skip it -- there are 10 more WORS races this year :) . Instead, Heather and I hung out, took Vontoux to the dog park, and went to The DaVinci Code. We enjoyed the movie, but I liked the book better. That's usually the case with those movies-made-from-books. I also washed and waxed REO Speedwagon:
He's all clean now, ready to sit in the garage, as I am planning to start riding to work alot more now that the weather has taken a turn for the better. Sun! Warmth! Hooray!

Today I received my new fork for my X0-1, the Reynolds Ouzo Pro Carbon Cross fork:

It's an all-carbon beauty that should take almost a full pound off the front end of my cross bike. I will post pics once I install it. Cyclingnews.com loved it when they reviewed it. In other bike news, I still have yet to receive my Fox fork for the 9.9, so the IFicator is still the mtb of choice.

That's about all I know. Hope everyone has a good week.

7 comments:

Brian said...

I figure the cramps were due to me barely being able to ride for a week and a half before the race. Stupid rain. Now it is nice out though.

I see no reason why we won't dominate the 4/5 racing scene in WI once you move here. :)

Brooks Leedahl said...

did you grind the lawyer tabs off the cross fork?

Brian said...

No, they were really small to begin with.

I almost have it fully installed...just have to put longer front brake housing on it and adjust the brakes.

Scotty J said...

nice work on the race man!

Simmons said...

Good job on the race! Try some of the Elete eloctrolite mix in the quality book. I mix it with my water and I haven't had a cramp yet. You can't taste it either. Great stuff!!! Kerkove didn't pay me to say that either :)

Brooks. When are you going to breakdown and buy a mountain bike? There's a lot of good racing in Wisconsin that you'll be missing out on if you don't :)

Nice fork. What's the good guy price on that one :)

Good luck this weekend. Don't get cold feet :)

Have a good holiday!

Anonymous said...

Congrats to Mr & Mrs Abraham!

Anonymous said...

I say briefly: Best! Useful information. Good job guys.
»