Friday, December 01, 2006

2006: A Season in Review

So here it is, as promised, my 2006 season recap and goals for next season. Depending on how I look at it, it was both a very good and a somewhat disappointing season. Very good because I raced more than I ever have before with races in 3 different disciplines of bike racing and put more miles in my legs than I ever have before. Somewhat disappointing because this season lacked the big result that you're always gunning for. But all in all, I am pleased with how the year turned out, and it makes me excited to see what next year brings.

I ended up racing 18 races this past year (beating my old record from 2004 of 15 races...the year that Greg and I did all those collegiate races).
--5 road races
--6 mountain bike races
--7 cyclocross races

The road season seemed to be where I raced my best, as I was always in the thick of things at the end. I felt strong and was able to come out with some decent results. This gives me confidence heading into next year's road schedule. Watch out for that powerhouse Team Brown Bear next spring! Here is a pic of me, with a storm in the distance, leading out a guy with big legs and a little bike.


I had a fun mtb racing season, although abbreviated due to me missing many races with weddings, trips, and vacations. I was pleased with how it seemed like I was improving with every mtb race. The first WORS race I finished 7min back from the winner, and the last one I did I was only 2.5min back. Next year I hope to do more races in the WORS series. I was also very happy with my result in my first Chequamegon. Look at how blurry fast I am going on my flame bike near the end of Cheq!

I wasn't sure what to expect heading into my first full season of cross, as I am normally not very good at the short, intense races like crits and cross races. But I felt that I did alright. The season was pretty inconsistent, as I felt strong in some races and weak in others. I ended up 11th in the WCA cross standings, which is better than I expected before the season began, so I am happy with that. Next year I hope to do more intensity-based training before cross begins to hopefully do a bit better.

And then we can't forget the trip to France. It was a once-in-a-lifetime trip that had the best riding that I have ever done (and probably will ever do). What a great honeymoon. Here is a pic of me, stopping for a photo op on the descent of Alpe d' Huez.


My goals for next season:
Road -- 1. Be the WI Cat 4 State Road Champion
2. Finish consistently in the top 7 in all other road races
3. Earn enough points to upgrade to Cat 3
MTB -- 1. Finish top 5 age group in the WORS Comp standings
2. Finish in the top 10 at the 24Hours of 9Mile Solo
3. Finish in the top 100 at the Chequamegon 40
Cross -- 1. Finish in the top 6 of the WCA Cat 3 standings
2. Be more consistent

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

my goal for next season is to not get blown out the back of every road race.

when are you going to change over to blogger in beta? all the cool kids are doing it.

Brian said...

Team Brown Bear will not be denied!

I'm too old school for beta. ;)

Anonymous said...

Great season Brian! I can't wait to see what TBB can do next season.

Anonymous said...

How did Team Gray do on Sunday?

Brian said...

We won 4-2 over Team Orange. I didn't get any points. Team Gray is now in 2nd place in the league.

Brian said...

I think my comments are broken.

Broken I tell you!

Anonymous said...

Maybe you should upgrade to beta, and you might not have so many problems :)

Brian said...

"Upgrade to beta."

That's an oxymoron. :D