Sunday, April 16, 2006

Oxbow Spring Classic

First race of the season is over and done with. I ended up 24th out of 98 racers in the 'B' race (Cat 3/4/5). Yes, that's right, there were 98 racers in just the B race. Crazy. Something else that was crazy was the number of people on road bikes despite the warnings against it and the fact that at least 15 miles of the 18 mile loop was gravel. The B race had to do 2 laps of the 18 mile course.

My lungs and legs were burning after the first trip up the Oxenberg climb. That thing was insane STEEP. They say it is around 24%. Definitely a granny gear climb. I was using my 38/25, and I could have used another 2 or 3 gears. Here's a picture of me struggling up it:

Toward the end of the first lap, my legs/lungs started to settle down and feel better. I was still hacking up dust particles hours later though. ;) Here's a pic of the X0-1, post race, full of dust.

All in all, it wasn't a bad first race of the season. I am glad that the season has started. Next up is a crit in Madison next Sun. That one might hurt a bit, as I haven't done as much intensity-based training as I would have hoped. We'll see how it goes though. Forecast is for rain and wind. Oh joy.

Hope everyone has a Happy Easter!

11 comments:

Lars said...

Good job B. It sounds like I am moving to quite a bike area.

Lane said...

did any of the road bikes fail, or crumble or blow up or anything?

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your placing, sucks that you had to race in the dust but hey that's how it goes.

Brian said...

I would rather race in dust than in complete mud or sand. :)

How's school going? Wrapping up soon, isn't it? Good luck with your finals, Squez.

G-reg said...

Crit+Rain+Wind+Cat4/5= Death

Brian said...

Agreed! The crit in Madison at least separates all categories, so there is a race for just the Cat 4's. So the risk of death is slightly lessened.

The crit in Milwaukee next weekend combines 4/5 though. Boo.

G-reg said...

Just brake late and pass on the inside, make sure to swing wide.

Justin Fox said...

You rule B. BOYEEEEEEEE

Brooks Leedahl said...

TOTO!

Brooks Leedahl said...

did you do that crit?

Brian said...

Yeah, I will post pics and a mini report tonight. They still don't have results posted yet though.